Resources For Students and Parents
TUTORING and HOMEWORK HELP
- Khan Academy: Free high-quality tutorial videos and test prep for anyone.
- BrainPop.com Free online tutoring for middle school students.
- Purdue OWL Fabulous resource for putting together works cited pages. Provides examples and explanations on proper citation for APA, MLA, and other popular style guides.
HIGH SCHOOL COURSE SELECTION
- College Foundation North Carolina (CFNC) Fabulous resource for parents and students of all ages to begin exploring possible careers, majors, colleges, financial literacy, scholarships and more! Ask your school counselor for student login information.
- College Greenlight This is a great resource for exploring college options with a customizable platform. Make an account for the best help with choosing a good-fit college and links to scholarships you qualify for.
- BigFuture BigFuture is a site through College Board (creators of the SAT and AP exams). It will help you explore colleges and universities from across the country and world, including statistics on competitive applicants.
- TRIO Programs for College Students in NC
FEDERAL FINANCIAL AID
BEST BARGAINS and SAVING FOR COLLEGE
- Affordable Degrees Online This site shares data from schools around the country to help students and parents find the best-value education.
- NC 529 This page through CFNC will share details about these tax-free savings account for college.
ACT/SAT TEST PREP
- Kaplan ACT/SAT YouTube Channel: Many videos with great tips and tricks to excel on both of these college-entrance exams.
- Grammar Girl Podcast: Wonderful little audio show to help you gain easy-to-remember tips on tricky grammar rules. She also has a blog.
- Collegeboard.com The College Board is a not-for-profit membership association whose mission is to connect students to college success and opportunity. College Board administers the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT), the PSAT, and Advanced Placement (AP) exams.
- ACT The ACT test assesses high school students’ general educational development and their ability to complete college-level work.
CAREER and INTERNSHIP PLANNING