The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program at NC State provides an enriching educational experience for first-generation college students that met income requirements and students from underrepresented groups, to excel as undergraduates, succeed in graduate school, and ultimately enter faculty positions in our nation’s colleges and universities.
The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program provides participants with an experience designed to:
- Encourage students from groups often underrepresented in graduate programs to pursue masters and doctoral degrees.
- Foster students’ professionalism, preparedness for doctoral education, and an understanding of how to succeed in graduate school through specialized programming.
- Develop skills critical to success at the graduate level including defining graduate school goals, participating in undergraduate research opportunities, and developing strong student and faculty mentor relationships.
Individual program services and activities are provided at no cost to the participants by the McNair Scholars Program and include:
- Individualized academic and personal support from McNair Scholars Program Staff
- A paid summer research experience or internship
- Faculty and graduate student mentoring
- Opportunities to participate in research conferences and visit graduate schools
- Assistance in locating and applying to graduate schools
- Workshops on the graduate school application process, financial aid, scholarships, and fellowships