About the Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program
The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program at NC State provides an enriching educational experience for first-generation college students that met income requirements and students from underrepresented groups, to excel as undergraduates, succeed in graduate school, and ultimately enter faculty positions in our nation’s colleges and universities.
The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program provides participants with an experience designed to:
- Encourage students from groups often underrepresented in graduate programs to pursue masters and doctoral degrees.
- Foster students’ professionalism, preparedness for doctoral education, and an understanding of how to succeed in graduate school through specialized programming.
- Develop skills critical to success at the graduate level including defining graduate school goals, participating in undergraduate research opportunities, and developing strong student and faculty mentor relationships.
Individual program services and activities are provided at no cost to the participants by the McNair Scholars Program and include:
- Individualized academic and personal support from McNair Scholars Program Staff
- A paid summer research experience or internship
- Faculty and graduate student mentoring
- Opportunities to participate in research conferences and visit graduate schools
- Assistance in locating and applying to graduate schools
- Workshops on the graduate school application process, financial aid, scholarships, and fellowships
Programs and Services for Ronald E. McNair Scholars
Throughout the academic year and summer, the Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program provides participants with:
- Seminars and workshops that address issues and concerns that are crucial for preparing for graduate and doctoral study
- Assistance with the graduate admissions and financial aid processes
- GRE, GMAT, and other admissions examinations preparation workshops
- Visitations to various graduate schools across the country
- Opportunities to participate in scholarly research and professional conferences
- Faculty mentoring
- Supplemental academic tutoring
The program provides participants with individual and group tutoring in all subject areas with special emphasis on technical areas and writing assistance.
Summer Research Experience
The McNair Summer Research Experience provides participants with the opportunity to develop and explore, in collaboration with a faculty mentor, a research area related to their interests. This collaboration is intended to introduce students to the nature of graduate study, scholarly activity, and research careers. One of the major goals of the Summer Research Experiences is to establish student/faculty relationships that initiate the student into scholarly activities of the student’s chosen discipline and to enable faculty members in the student’s discipline to become more familiar with the student’s work.
Graduate/Professional School Selection
All McNair participants are assisted in choosing the graduate or professional school program that best fits their needs. Throughout the year, participants are involved in graduate school and professional school visitations throughout the country. These visitations allow students to meet (in person) with graduate school representatives as well as graduate faculty to discuss graduate admission requirements, financial aid, and other programs.