The mission of the North Carolina State University TRIO Programs is to provide equal access to quality education by facilitating retention and promotion from middle schools through post baccalaureate completion.
TRIO Programs are Federal outreach and student services programs designed to serve and assist low-income individuals, first-generation college students, and individuals with disabilities to progress through the academic pipeline from middle school to post baccalaureate degrees. Of these eight programs, NC State University hosts four programs, including the two premier TRIO pre-college programs, Educational Talent Search (1991) and Upward Bound (1978 and 2012). Collectively they have served thousands of students providing access to higher education. The Student Support Service program for undergraduate students launched in 2010. The Student Support Services STEM program launched in 2015. The Ronald E. McNair Postbaccalaureate Achievement Program launched in 2017.
- 17 professional and support staff
- Numerous instructors, advisors, tutors, bus drivers, and facilitators
Upward Bound and Talent Search
- Academic Skill Development
- College Admissions Assistance
- Test Prep Training (SAT/ACT)
- Monetary Stipends and Subsistence
- Computer-Aided Instruction
- Fee Waivers
- Motivational Workshops
- Cultural and Career Development
- Summer Residential Experience
Student Support Services, Student Support Services STEM and Ronald E. McNair
- Academic, Career and Personal Coaching
- Academic Skills Workshops
- Assistance with Financial Aid & Scholarship Applications
- Cultural & Educational Events
- Employment and Professional
- Development Opportunities
- Financial & Economic Literacy Education
- Graduate & Professional Program Application Assistance
- Summer Research Experience
- Supplemental Tutorial Support
- 1,000 students served in 10 middle and high schools in four counties: Franklin, Johnston, Vance and Wake.
- On average, 56% of Upward Bound & Talent Search graduates complete a bachelor’s degree within six years, which not only rivals most universities’ retention rates, but is well above the state and national average rate of individuals with a bachelor’s degree; 32% and 33% respectively.
- 285 undergraduate students served by the Student Support Services, Student Support Services STEM and Ronald E. McNair Scholars programs.
- Ninety-one percent (91%) of Student Support Services and Student Support Services STEM program participants will graduate from the university in six years or less.
- Ninety-three percent (93%) of Ronald E. McNair Scholar graduates enrolled immediately into a masters or doctoral program after the completion of their undergraduate degree.
TRIO Pre-College Programs
TRIO Collegiate Programs