How to Apply
The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program at NC State is one of 187 programs at colleges and universities across the country and part of a group of federal programs known collectively as TRIO. The McNair Scholars Program helps qualified undergraduate students prepare for admission to doctoral programs and the successful pursuit of Ph.D. degrees. Eligible students must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents who are also first-generation AND low-income OR be a member of a group traditionally underrepresented in graduate education (African-American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic/Latino, or Pacific Islander). The Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program provides undergraduates with critical research experiences, GRE preparation sessions, faculty mentoring, professional skills, and assistance with the graduate school application process at no cost to the student.
To be eligible, Ronald E. McNair Scholars must be first-generation AND low-income OR be a member of a group traditionally underrepresented in graduate education (African-American, American Indian/Alaskan Native, Hispanic/Latino, or Pacific Islander).
- The Federal Guidelines define the term “first-generation college student” as
- an individual both of whose parents did not complete a baccalaureate degree;
- or in the case of any individual who regularly resided with and received support from only one parent, an individual whose only such parent did not complete a baccalaureate degree;
- Income Requirements (using taxable Income) based on federal guidelines
Ronald E. McNair Scholars must also:
- Have a minimum of a 3.0 cumulative GPA*
- Be enrolled as a full-time undergraduate student at NC State
- Must have a minimum 30 credit hours completed (by the end of the Spring 2022 term) or more with at least four semesters left before graduation
- Be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- Must have a desire to attain a Ph.D. or Ed.D. Please note that an MD or other professional degrees (JD, MBA, PharmD, etc.) are not eligible for the program
*Students with a GPA below a 3.0 may apply for the program but should explain how they will increase their GPA to be competitive for graduate admissions.
Students’ eligibility for the program does not guarantee selection to the program. Scholars are selected based on the following additional criteria:
- Commit to obtaining a doctoral (Ph.D.) degree
- Will have attained sophomore or higher status in your college before the research experience
- Will be able to maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher
- Commit to participate in the McNair workshops, seminars, and activities until graduation
After all of your application materials are received and reviewed, and if it is determined that you meet the program requirements, an interview will be scheduled with the McNair Scholars Selection Committee.